Friday, December 3, 2010

Potty Training Blues

So about 3 weeks ago I gave it the "old college try" with potty training Tyler.....emphasis on the "try".  I had started with him sitting on the potty at night before his tubby and did the whole sticker chart rewards...he was loving it and doing a good job so I decided to try some big boy underwear during the day and see how he did.  I told myself I was going to give it a week and then make a decision as to whether I thought he was ready or not.....lets put it this way, I'm still buying diapers.
Tyler is one of those kids who will not stop playing to go to the potty......I've never wiped up so much pee off the floor.  I remember thinking "thank goodness Ava is not crawling yet".....I tried everything.  Started with pullups but those things absorb just as much as regular diapers and he didn't mind being wet.  Then I tried big boy undies.....he would sit on the potty when I asked him and say "I just did a little dribble Mom." I would praise him and tell him how proud I was.....even did the whole M&M reward thing......no sooner would I help him pull up his undies, he would start playing with his trains and I would hear the pee hitting the floor.  I even tried putting the big boy undies under the diaper so he'd feel wet and I wouldn't be cleaning up pee all the time.....nothing seemed to work.


At the end of the week I decided he's just not ready.....I'm building up my strength to try again.....I'm getting the idea he's getting closer to being ready as he insists I leave the room when he has to poop.....sometimes when I walk in he'll say "I'm alright in here mom you don't come in!" Oh and I'll leave you with this....after he does number two he also like to tell me if it's a big one or a little one......and if it's a big one, while I'm wiping his bum he'll say "wow Mom, what did I eat?".....if Grandpa Rathbone ever heard him say that I think he would pee his pants!!

1 comment: